Shepard's Pie With An Italian Twist
- 1kg minced lean beef
- 2 heads of cauliflower
- 100g of finely chopped veg (I used a frozen mix of diced onion, carrot and celery)
- 400g/1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan (or more, depending on how cheesy you want it!)
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1 tsp of Italian herbs (oregano, basil and thyme)
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C
- Chop the cauliflower into small florets then add to a big pot, fill with water and bring to the boil. Cook until tender.
- Whilst the cauliflower is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan then add the beef. Season and cook meat through on a medium heat. When the meat is browned, add the veg, herbs and tomatoes and cook on a high heat for 5-8 minutes to let the liquid reduce.
- When the cauliflower is ready, drain the water and either add the cauliflower to a blender or return it to the pot, also adding the Parmesan and tbsp of butter. Then use a masher or hand blender to create the mash. (Blending will create a much smoother texture than using a masher.)
- When the meat is cooked and the liquid has reduced, add the contents to an oven dish. I recommend using a strainer to make sure the excess liquid is removed before adding it to the dish, as too much liquid can spoil the recipe.
- Using a spatula or knife, smooth on the creamy mash over the beef, covering gaps well.
- To create a crispy top, score the mash with a fork by drawing diagonal lines across it in opposite directions.
- Put on the top shelf of the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.